Wednesday, August 22, 2012

'On Deck' with Billy Hamilton (July Issue of Big Leagues Monthly | Magazine)

 
 
  (Al Seib / Los Angeles Times )
By Mike Viso | @MikeViso
Billy Hamilton wasted no time giving those in attendance for the 2012 Carolina-California League All-Star Game what they wanted. After reaching first base on a bunt single, Hamilton promptly stole second on what he was told later by his Cal League teammates was a pitchout. He then stole third base before scoring on outfielder George Springer’s groundout to second base. Although that was his only hit
of the night and the lone run scored in a 9-1 loss to the Carolina League All-Stars, he was named the MVP of the California team. Hamilton seems to be resurrecting the memories of Vince Coleman and the days of the 100-plus stolen base season, especially given his recent surpassing of that mark for the Class A Advanced affiliate Bakersfield Blaze. After swiping 103 bases in the Midwest League last season, he recently stole his 100th base of 2012 against the Lake Elsinore Storm.
Big Leagues Monthly columnist and Lynchburg Hillcats broadcaster Mike Viso recently spoke with the Cincinnati Red’s top prospect at the Carolina-California League All-Star game.


Q: You're getting a lot of national recognition, what's it been like?
A: I mean, it's been good, man. People [have] been asking about my 80 stolen bases and stuff. I answer this question maybe a 100 times a day, so I'm getting used to it now. It's getting on base that's the main key to those stolen bases. Relaxing and having fun out here. Being confident that I can steal a base every time helps me out a little bit.

Q:You're hitting .322 on the season, what's your approach to hitting? Are you trying to drive the ball or do you find you're getting more slap and infield hits?
A: I mean, it’s different situations...I look at the shortstop to see where they're playing at or I slap the ball in the hole. More this year, I've been driving the ball in the gap, hitting line drives and stuff. I get just as many infield hits and I'm mixing those in. That's the main thing, mixing those infield hits in.

Q: Were there any other sports you played in high school besides baseball?

A: I signed a football scholarship with Mississippi State. I played football and basketball (in high school).
Q: What were your positions?

A: I played receiver in football and point guard in basketball.
Q: Was baseball always your first love?

A: Yeah, baseball was always my first love. That's what helped me make my decision on either going to college and playing football or just starting a career out in baseball. I mean, I knew I didn't want to play that (football) from the start. I would just go ahead and get an early start on baseball and help me out a little bit.

Q: What's it like being from Mississippi and transition to life in California?
A: (Laughs) It's tough coming from Mississippi. The people are different, the weather is different. Whatever, you gotta go, you gotta make fun out of it. You gotta live where you gotta live, so I'm getting used to it now.

Q: What were your stolen base totals in high school? Where you running all day on kids?

A: Actually, I didn't steal bases in high school. For some reason I didn't steal bases in high school. I maybe had 10 because I wasn't trying to run in high school. Who tries to run in high school nowadays? It was more trying to hit home runs. We had those aluminum bats. I [was] just like, “alright, just try to hit a home run every time”.
Mike Viso is a broadcaster for the Atlanta Braves Class-A Advanced affiliate Lynchburg Hillcats and contributor to Big Leagues Monthly | Magazine, Through the Fence Baseball and CBSPhilly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment